I still have some old vinyl records, and among the vintage new wave hits of the 80’s in my collection, there are a number of works that I suppose could be called ‘experimental’. Mr. C just calls them ‘Daddy’s Crazy Music’. Examples include works by This Heat, Steve Reich, Brian Eno, Dead C, Bailter Space, Godspeed You Black Emperor, and Gilbert & Lewis. Some of this is ambient and some might just be called noise. As a Classical music fan, Ms. J does not prefer to hear any of this either.
Here’s an example from Bruce Gilbert and Graham Lewis. ‘Barge Calm’ from their 1980 LP, ‘3R4’.
If you do go ahead and listen to it, you can stop after a minute or so, it just continues like this….for another 17 minutes.
Here’s the LP. (I can’t believe it’s been 37 years since I bought this!)
Since I work from home, and I know this sort of music is not for everyone, if I do want to listen to any of it I will dig out one of these old LP’s during the day. When C is at school and J at work.
This has worked fine until we got our dog Scout. Something like ‘Barge Calm’ will make him howl. Hoooowwwwwwllllll ….owwwwwww! Owwww….Howwwwwwlllll! This continues until I take the music off.
Not an avant-garde music fan.
Looks like I will have to resort to listening to this in the car. Yes, I do own two copies of this, the other one being a compact disc.
A couple of posts ago I mentioned that a project I’ve been meaning to get to is fixing my Mom’s old Kitchenaid mixer.
My Mother was going to throw it away because it was making a grinding sound and shaking when she used it. I’d like to try to keep it out of the dump so I said that I would try to fix it. It’s a forty year old machine, it probably weighs about twenty five pounds, and I doubt that newer models are as sturdy as this one. New models can cost about $500, so it could be worthwhile to try to fix it.
After doing some research, I found out that a common problem is that the gear lubricant can dry out, causing the gears to grind, eventually the motor will wear out if the old lubricant is not replaced. I bought some new lubricant, hoping that it wasn’t too late to save it.
The first thing to do is to knock out the pin that holds in the rotary. The little top pin, not the one on the stem below the spring. I almost knocked out that bottom pin, which would have been a big mistake as it’s very difficult to get back in.
Then you take off the rotary.
Then you remove all of those screws. I had to get some screw de-locker oil as those things didn’t want to budge after forty years.
That brown gunk is dried out gear lubricant.
I didn’t get a photo of the cleaned off gears as my hands were covered in that old gear goo. The new lubricant cost $15. The old screw de-lockenizer oil cost $2.50.
Then you put it all back together and check to see if that fixed it by mixing up a batch of chocolate chip cookies!
Whirrr! Whirrrrr! Good as new!
Let’s bake some cookies!