As of this morning, they’re all in the process of creating cocoons, attaching themselves to either sticks that we added to rhe habitat, or directly to the bottom of the cardboard cover that we put on the habitat. And by ‘habitat’ I mean a wire mesh tradh can with a piece of cardboard on top! Next, they will then be transformed into Monarch butterflies.
Here’s a photo of some of them on the cardboard, kind of creepy looking.
I had to be careful not to disturb them so I could just lift the lid up a few inches to take the photo.
When I first moved here, fifteen years ago, there would at least be a few Monarch’s around our stand of milk weed in the Fall, but I haven’t seen very many at all lately. This year I haven’t seen any, except for the ones Mr C has. Hopefully in the next few weeks, we’ll have some to let out to make their way down to Mexico.